Occasionally get blurred vision for a short period. Cause?

I am 86 years old , and sometimes I get blurred vision for a short period of time , what could be the cause of that ??
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. AK Garg 55 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on WWW.WWWW.WW and I'll try my best to satisfactorily answer it.

Blurring of vision at age of 86 normally occurs due to lenticular changes in the eyes which is an age-related process. Sometimes, it may be assosiated with some systemic disorders like hypertension, diabetes or transient ischaemic attacks in the brain.

When vision is blurred due to generalized lenticular changes, which means age related changes in whole lens, the vision is blurred constantly and not for short periods of time as expirienced by you.

On the other hand, if the changes in lens are localized, which means only a portion of lens is affected due to age, the blurring should occur during day time while should be better during night.

Since there is a history of replacement of heart valves, it is possible, that you might be suffering from very transient ischemic attacks in the brain causing blurring of vision.

In order to help you in a better manner, I would like get some more information about your condition. So, please let me know the following:

1. Since when are you facing this problem?
2. Is the blurring expirienced for both near vision and distant vision or for only one of them?
3. Does the condition improve with glasses? If yes, can you please share the prescription of your glasses?
4. For what duration do you expirience this blurring?
5. Are you a hyper-tensive/diabetic? When you get attacks of blurring, do you loose consciousness for some seconds?

Once you answer these questions, I'll be able to give more information regarding your situation.

Hoping to hear from you soon.