Occasional heartburn, blood in stool and constipation. Taking Metamucil. Past colonoscopy normal. History of hemorrhoids

I had colonoscopy about 18 months ago and everything was fine and I am not due for another one for another 18 months. Lately, I have seen dark strands in my stool. I am also experiencing an occasional heartburn. I am taking Metamucil in capsule form every day because I am often constipated. This is due to the fact that I try not to eat certain fatty food. I also have hemorrhoids and lately have seen fresh blood in my stool. I am booked for a check up but wanted to know if all this means something serious. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there. Thank you for posting your question with XXXXXXX I will do my best to help you.

I'm not sure. I do not like the sound of this. Just to be safe, I think you should bring the date of your next colonoscopy forwards to right now. This would be particularly so if you have a family history of bowel cancer. But even if you have no such family history I would still be inclined to repeat endoscopy now. It is too important.

Those other things you mention there, heartburn, piles, medications etc are not relevant I think.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have any more questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.