Occasional fits, some with fever. Valparin led to digestion issues. Will oxetol cause problems?

Neurologist
Question
My daughter is 3 years 3 months old, she is suffering from fits occassionaly, she got fits on May4th 2012, She had six episodes of fits till now, four episodes with fever and recent two episodes without fever. Doctor prescribed valparin, but it did not suit her ,she developed digestion problems, then doctor changed the tablet, he prescibed levipill, even for this tablet she had developed digestion problems.Now doctor has prescribed oxetol 150g , 1 tablet a day, half tablet on morning and half tablet on night. I am worried if this tablet will create any side effects for her, please advise if she has to take anti convlustive tables. All her reports like EEG, Blood test and MRI scan are normal.
Posted Sat, 9 Jun 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Neeraj Baheti 22 hours later

I have some queries for you. They can help me understand and address your daughter's problems better. So please provide the following details:

1. How was her birth and development?
2. At what age she had the first seizure?
3. Was she running fever when she had the first seizure and what was the temperature then?
4. Can you describe the events happening in during these fits?
5. Has electroencephalogram (EEG) been done properly and reported by neurologist? Is it both awake and sleep record.
6. Is the MRI scan a "1.5 Tesla MRI scanning".

Your neurologist can help you in finding these details. Please get back to me with the aforementioned details.

To answer your current query,

Levipil usually won't lead to digestion problem. Oxetol is also safe and efficient in treating convulsions. Only thing is we need to classify her epilepsy properly. This will guide our drug selection better and tell us about the prognosis.

As of now you may continue with oxetol as advised.

Hope this helps. Provide me with the necessary details and I can help you find answers to your daughter's problem.

Best Regards

Follow-up: Occasional fits, some with fever. Valparin led to digestion issues. Will oxetol cause problems? 1 hour later
Hi Sir,

Thanks for your reply, the answer to your queries are as follows

1) How was her birth and development?
She is a caesarian baby, development is normal, she is very active alwars
XXXXXXX 2010, during her eleventh month

Yes, the temperature was around 101 degree

Four episodes are with fever and the latest two episodes are without fever, the common factors are chest cold, cough, she is trying to vomit something could not do so, that time she is getting fits, in the last two episodes, she had swollowed the chappati dough(Maida) and banana, she tried to vomit it that time she got fits.
Her eyes goes up, she could not able to stand, when we call her she will be looking somewhere else, saliva from her mouth, are common things observerd(If you want i have video taken i can send that across to you).

Let me know if you want to know anything more.
Sorry forgot to answer question 5 and 6
Has electroencephalogram (EEG) been done properly and reported by neurologist? Is it both awake and sleep record.

Totally 3 EEG's are take one is in awake state and two in sleep states and all are normal and it is properly reported by nuerologist

I dont know but it is Complete MRI brain Scan

Answered by Dr. Neeraj Baheti 2 hours later

Thanks for providing the additional details.

Since the last two episodes was following cough/cold spell, it is quite possible that she had low grade fever too.

As there has always been fever preceding convulsion (fits); her birth / development is normal and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and EEG's are normal, it seems like your daughter has febrile seizure with atypical febrile seizures.

Majority of these kids will have such febrile seizures till age of 5-6 years.

You should continue Oxetol for next 2 years then repeat EEG and if it's normal go ahead and taper off medications in consultation with your neurologist. Oxetol is tolerated well by almost all children. It is also safe.

In addition, it might be better to put her on intermittent prophylaxis with clobazam (another anti epileptic drug) during febrile periods for better control of seizures. You can discuss about it with your neurologist.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need any more help.

Best Regards,

Follow-up: Occasional fits, some with fever. Valparin led to digestion issues. Will oxetol cause problems? 33 minutes later
Hi Sir,

Thanks for your reply.

Whether my kid's education will be affected since she is going to take oxetol, whether she will feel sleepy all over the day.

Doctor has instructed to take Oxetol 150 mg half tablet on morning and Half tablet on night.

Some say we have take periodic blood test, if one takes epileptic drugs is that true?

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Neeraj Baheti 37 minutes later
Hi and thanks again,

Don't worry about sleep and education. All these are theoretical risks with the use of antiepileptic drugs which product leaflet mentions. The absolute risks are very less and much lesser than complication of repeated seizures.

Oxetol is quite safe.

Just be under follow-up of your neurologist. He will guide you and perform blood test appropriately. There is no need to perform repeat blood test unless specified by your neurologist.

If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Best wishes