Occasional chest pain, not able to take breath during such pain. Family history of heart conditions

Cardiologist, Interventional
Question
My mother has a heart condition, i am afraid i might also have. I have had some chest pain ocassionally. I am not able to take XXXXXXX breaths during such pain.
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 19 hours later
Hello Ms AAAAA
Thank you for the query.

I understand that your mother has a heart condition and that you are concerned that you might also have one.

Chest discomfort that increases with XXXXXXX breath usually indicates a musculo-skeletal pain or a pleuritic pain. Pleura is the covering membrane of the lungs. Cardiac pain can present in many ways but usually does not change with breathing.

In order to answer your query better, I would need some more details from you.
1. What is the nature of your mother's heart condition?
2. Can you describe your symptoms in detail? Where exactly is the pain, how often it comes, how severe is the pain, any particular time of the day, any relation to food, exercise, stress, emotion?
3. Are there any other symptoms like breathing difficulty, palpitation, fever, cough, flatulence, etc?
4. Have you been examined by a doctor for this? Any tests like ECG, ECHO, Chest X-Ray?

I can give you a more specific answer after your replies to these questions.
Awaiting your response,
Dr Raja Sekhar Varma, MD DM
Consultant Interventional Cardiologist XXXXXXX Hospitals-DSI, Banashankari
Bangalore

Follow-up: Occasional chest pain, not able to take breath during such pain. Family history of heart conditions 1 hour later
Symptoms: pain on the left side of chest, generally occurs at gaps of 2 0r 3 months and prolongs upto 10-15 mins. its like when ever i try to take XXXXXXX breaths or when i suddenly change my posture, and even when i lie down during that pain its difficult to change sides. i usually have to stay in one particular posture for the pain to subside. and the last time it occured it prolonged for 2 days.
there are no others symptoms but just difficulty in XXXXXXX breathing. no cough or fever.
i did not consult any doctor on this. no tests done yet.

I am sorry i dont remember the exact medical terms but one of my mothers artery is a little small due to which she sometimes feels anxiety. She is on a regular medication right now.
Even my uncle( my mother's real brother) had an artery blockage he is also fine presently he had an angiography done.
These issues had concerned me a lot plus my chest pain has worried me now. Your advice can really help me a lot.

Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 5 hours later
Hello Ms AAAA
Thank you for the clarifications.

From the description that you have given, it looks like a musculoskeletal pain. You should get good relief by using analgesics and local application of analgesic ointments/gels along with rest till the healing occurs.

Since you have a family history of heart disease, it would be better to check your blood pressure, fasting blood sugar and lipid profile once a year. Maintain a healthy diet and exercise regularly to prevent future problems.

If the chest pain persists, I would advise you to get a complete clinical evaluation done so that the diagnosis can be confirmed and treatment instituted appropriately.

I hope this answers your query. Feel free to ask me for any clarifications.

With regards
Dr Raja Sekhar Varma, MD DM
Bangalore

Follow-up: Occasional chest pain, not able to take breath during such pain. Family history of heart conditions 10 minutes later
Any specific reason as of why i have been having these pains?
My Blood Sugar is normal and my BP tends to be below normal generally.

Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 2 hours later
Hello
Thanks again for the query.

I would need to examine you in detail before any definite cause for your pain can be identified. I can only postulate that, from the details given, it is likely to be a musculo-skeletal pain.

BP between 90/60 and 139/89 mmHg can be considered as normal.

I wish you a rapid recovery and a healthy life.

Dr Raja Sekhar Varma, MD DM
Bangalore