Ask a Homeopath   »  

Occasional acidity. Gasping for breath after doing kapalbhati. What could be the reason?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
This is for my sister who is healthy otherwise but has occasional acidity problem. We have observed that especially after doing Kapalbhati during Yoga the side effect is that after a couple of hours she starts yawning too much as if gasping for breath, and feels cough in the throat. What could be the reasons? Also how to get rid of acidity?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Yoga

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 52 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. There is a possibility that she is hyperventilating excessively during Kapalbhati. Her technique needs evaluation.

2. Acid reflux should be treated with various measures such eating on time, eating at least 3-4 hours before sleeping, eating smaller meals, avoiding spicy, pungent and oily food. Raise the head end of her bed by 4 inches.

3. Medical treatment should under the supervision of a physician. Proton Pump inhibitors and motility enhances may have to be taken for may weeks. Short term relief may require the use of antacids. H pylori infection must be ruled out. Hiatus hernia (seen on USG Abdomen) is common.

4. A post nasal drip may be involved. Her nose and sinuses must be checked. Chronic stress or anxiety worsens acidity.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Occasional acidity. Gasping for breath after doing kapalbhati. What could be the reason? 10 hours later
Still confused on the response. What tests are you suggesting for ruling out this or that? And what remedies can be adopted naturally? On the first Kapalbhati What is hyperventillating?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 30 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Kapalbhati is a breathing exercise using abdominal muscles. If your sister is using the chest and diaphragm for the Kapalbhati, she will end up breathing up to ten times faster than normal. This causes carbon dioxide wash out from the lungs and body. This in turn changes the metabolism of the body leading to her yawning and gasping for breath. If she is a beginner, she should reduce or stop the Kapalbhati for some time an learn the correct technique which involves fast shallow breaths using abdominal muscles only.

2. Natural remedies for treating acidity include:
a. Eating meals on time,
b. Eating dinner at least 3-4 hours before sleeping,
c. Eating smaller meals (not over eating),
d. Avoiding spicy, pungent and oily food.
e. Raise the head end of her bed by 4 inches.
f. Having cold milk, buttermilk to soothe the stomach

3. Get a check-up by a Gastroenterologist. Let the Specialist decide the exact medication. H.pylori is a stomach bacteria which causes hyperacidity. Hiatus hernia is a sliding diaphragmatic hernia that is seen in more than one thirds of patients. this requires an Ultrasound (USG) of the abdomen.

4. Get an ENT Sepcialist to check her nose, sinuses from where excess mucus may drip into the throat causing the need to frequently clear the throat. This symptom may also happen due to acid reflux (from the stomach) up the food pipe into the throat.

5. Does she have anxiety or any emotional stress?

Regards.

Follow-up: Occasional acidity. Gasping for breath after doing kapalbhati. What could be the reason? 6 days later
Thank you for your patient and detailed response. It was very helpful.

May I ask if you can recommend some good (not very commercial-minded) specialist for gastro and ENT?

Also can you explain if Neem can kill pylori bacteria? The location of these specialists you suggest should be in Mumbai. Not sure if you are allowed to suggest on this site, but don't know why it should be a problem. Pl dont forget to answer the neem question

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 16 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. H. pylori is a common gut bacteria. It is asymptomatic in most people.

2. For patients with symptoms such as hyper acidity, there is a triple drug therapy available.

3 There is no harm in trying neem extract for h. pylori as it is has antibiotic effect among it's many uses.

4. You may also ask her to take a probiotic.

5. It will be difficult to suggest a Gastroenterologist in Mumbai as it is not my speciaity. It would be easier in Pune. However when she is in Mumbai, it may be possible to call my colleagues to request them to suggest one. Which area of Mumbai or which Hospital is convenient? You may follow up directly at bit.ly/Dr-Sumit-Bhatti

Regards.