Occasional abdominal pain after eating food, frequent urge to pass motions. Suggestions?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I have abdominal main not always but some time after eating any food and I need to go toilet almost four times every day after food and feeling an cutting pain inside some times.
I would be kind enough if you kindly suggest me what to do?
Thanks& Regards
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 1 hour later
Hello Mr. XXXXXX,
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for your query.

Your symptoms of on-and-off abdominal pain, especially after eating food and urge to go to the toilet after food can be due to the following causes:

1) Intestinal parasites like Giardiasis or other intestinal worms. The typical symptoms are "postprandial hurry" i.e. urge to go to toilet after food and crampy abdominal pain.

2) Stomach ulcers - these often present with abdominal pain 15 to 20 minutes after food and can result in bowel irregularities also.

3) If your symptoms have been chronic (long-standing), then the possibility of an Irritable Bowel Syndrome also has to be considered.

I would suggest that you have a proper physical examination done by a doctor and also have a stool test done to look for any intestinal parasites. Further treatment should be targeted according to the specific diagnosis.

I would also like to suggest the following general measures to help decrease your symptoms:
1) Avoid foods that cause gastric irritation like spicy foods, coffee, tea, carbonated drinks, etc. Smoking and alcohol are also gastric irritants.
2) Eat at regular intervals and avoid delaying meals.
3) Increase the fiber content in your diet - take more of vegetables and fruits.
4) Avoid eating outside; especially avoid all kinds of junk food and fast foods.
5) Try to have a healthy lifestyle with regular exercise and proper sleep habits.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Consultant