Obsessive-compulsive disorder,anxiety,intrusive and weird thoughts

I was concerned about OCD. I've been having intrusive thoughts followed by anxiety. These thoughts are becoming weirder, I was wondering if intrusive thoughts are just images or they also be other forms?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 2 hours later

Obsessive-compulsive disorder is an anxiety disorder in which people have unwanted and repeated thoughts, feelings, ideas, sensations (obsessions), or behaviors that make them feel driven to do something (compulsions).

OBSESSIONS are unwelcome and distressing ideas, thoughts, images or impulses that repeatedly enter your mind. They may seem to occur against your will. They may be repugnant to you, you may recognize them as senseless, and they may not fit your personality.

COMPULSIONS, on the other hand, are behaviors or acts that you feel driven to perform although you may recognize them as senseless or excessive. At times, you may try to resist doing them but this may prove difficult. You may experience anxiety that does not diminish until the behavior is completed.

To help you more, it would be beneficial, if you can explain more about your thoughts (Example of thoughts and images). This information can be of help to provide proper information and advice.

I will be available to answer any follow up questions that you might have.
Follow-up: Obsessive-compulsive disorder,anxiety,intrusive and weird thoughts 46 minutes later
The thoughts are about me hurting my girlfriend and family members. Images randomly pop in my head of me hurting them. I've also been having thoughts of me saying I'm going to kill her pop in randomly. its scary because I would never do that I don't believe in violence, I've always been against it. The more I battle the thoughts in my head the more anxiety I get. I thought the thought of me saying I'm going to kill her was brought upon by my self. I did some research on this subject and got terrified of the idea that this will escalate to the extreme of me hearing voices which I don't. I was wondering if these are still intrusive thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later

From the description provided it seems that you do have - inappropriate aggressive thoughts, which are a form of intrusive thoughts.

Everyone has bad thoughts, but most patients can control their mind and decrease their thoughts sufficiently, so that such thoughts no longer interfere with their lives

Since you do have OCD, and if the thoughts are persistent, severe, or distressing, treatment might be very helpful (In case, you are not on any treatment).

You might consult a psychiatrist, who can help to control the thoughts via counselling and Exposure and response prevention therapy—also referred to as habituation or desensitization.

Exposure therapy (or exposure and response prevention) is the practice of staying in an anxiety-provoking or feared situation until the distress or anxiety diminishes. The goal is to reduce the reaction to the fear, learning to not react to the bad thoughts. This is the most effective way to reduce the frequency and severity of the intrusive thoughts.

I hope this helps.

I will be available for any follow up questions that you may be having.

Follow-up: Obsessive-compulsive disorder,anxiety,intrusive and weird thoughts 17 hours later
I have another question is all this anxiety good for my blood pressure? Am I in risk of a heart attack or other heart disease do to the anxiety because of my blood pressure?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 10 minutes later

Yes, too much of anxiety and stress can cause your blood pressure to elevate, due to increased heart rate.

Over a long term, such high blood pressure can cause weakness of the heart and eventually heart failure.

Taking steps to control your anxiety and adopting measures to reduce stress in your life - will be effective to reduce heart problems and have a healthy and satisfying life.

I hope this is helpful.