Observing significant loss of flexibility and strength in legs and knee. Diagnosed deficiency in vitamin D. What could this be?

Hi, I am 29 yrs old Male. My height is 183 cm and weight 92 kgs. fr the last 6 months i have been observing significant loss of flexibilty and strenght in my right leg. right knee.
It always hurts when streched also my friends have told me i have started limping a little. i am left handed so my left side is stronger but my right leg has less flexibility and also the part between knee and ankle hurts. the muscle under the right knee is more pronounced. my right calves and hamstring hurt when streched.
pls guide. 1)what could be cause of this?
2)limp is starting to bother me.
3) I was diagnosed mildly deficient in vit D for which i took some sachets.

Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Guru 3 hours later

I am sorry for your pain. As I understand from your symptoms, there can various causes like bursitis, tendonitis, ligament tear in the knee joint particular if there is history of any trauma and few more. If you were my patient, I would do a physical examination particularly concentrating on range of movements and the amount of movement restriction. Based on the physical exam findings, I would order X rays initially as primary investigation and if nothing is detected and still I suspect on of the above mentioned things, I would order an MRI of knee as well (since knee joint is a very complex structure and x XXXXXXX is not fully enough to detect minor things).

I advise you to recheck your Vitamin D levels one more time. The normal range according to new research studies is 30-100 ng/mL. The best test for it is 25-hydroxy vitamin D test.

Take Care!