Observing a chronic concentration and thought collection problem. Getting headache with nausea. Having chronic constipation. Advise?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question

I have been observing a chronic concentration and thought collection problem for quite some time now. My thinking ability has come down. When I try to talk about something, I fail to properly collect thoughts about things I know. I sometimes get headache (front and both sides on the top), with nausea. I cannot concentrate properly when someone is talking to me, when I am reading something or watching something on TV etc. I have tried migraine medication but it has been of no help. Since this is affecting my ability to work, I would like to take an expert advice on this. To give you some history, during my teens, when I used to masturbate everyday, I used to get headache daily, but that was tolerable. I used to sleep less, eat less etc. However, after some years, when I started to decrease the frequency of masturbation, the concentration problem and other problems started appearing. Even now, I have observed that this problem aggravates after I have intercourse. For the next few days, it is more severe than it is during other days. FYI, I also have chronic constipation which has led to haemorrhoids. I believe the constipation is caused due to some neurological imbalace, since gastroenterologist reports (endoscopy etc.) are all normal.

Looking forward to your help.
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 33 hours later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your difficulty due to poor attention and concentration, as it is affecting your daily life as well as job.

These symptoms are connected to brain, as brain is involved in attention, concentration, thought process, language and memory functions.

There are two types of brain problems, which can cause your symptoms. Any structural problem, such as infection, lack of blood flow to brain, etc. These conditions can be diagnosed by a good brain scan, such as MRI.

Second is a functional problem of the brain, where the brain scan is normal. This can be caused by a variety of conditions, including anxiety, stress, depression, too much work load, problems with relationships, etc. Additionally, thyroid problems can also cause similar problems.

Generally, masturbation does not lead to these symptoms, however, headaches do occur after masturbation or sexual intercourse.

I hope it helps.

I would be pleased to answer any follow up queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist,
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Observing a chronic concentration and thought collection problem. Getting headache with nausea. Having chronic constipation. Advise? 48 minutes later
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for your time and analysis. For me to have an MRI scan, do I need to tell any other specific details to the pathologist, or can I walk-in to a diagnostic centre and just request for an MRI scan of the brain?

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

You should get an MRI brain without contrast. You can walk into a diagnostic center for the MRI.
In Hyderabad, the standard MRI centers include XXXXXXX diagnostics (ameerpet and himayatnagar), Focus diagnostics (punjagutta), Lucid diagnostics (banjara hills) and Elbit diagnostics (Banjara Hills).
In case, they have any doubt, you can ask them to call me at 0000.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Observing a chronic concentration and thought collection problem. Getting headache with nausea. Having chronic constipation. Advise? 14 hours later
Hi Doctor,

I had an MRI Scan (without Contrast as suggested) at Elbit, Banjara Hills, and have also collected the report. The findings show everything as normal. While this is good, I still wonder what is the cause of my problem, as the problem is real and genuine. Could it be infection? Or do you think it is stress as you had initially mentioned? I have tried B-Complex in the past but that did not help much, and only added to my headache. TSH reports show normal.

I hope I'm not troubling you with too many questions. I'm only trying to give as much information as possible to give you the correct picture.

Thanks & Regards,
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Normal MRI is a good news...

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

As you mentioned, normal MRI is a positive news, and it rules out most serious problems of brain, including tumors, infections, blood clots, lack of blood flow to brain, etc.

So, the likely cause now could be stress related. At this stage, there is not much role of medicines, except may be piracetam, which is supposed to help in improving memory and concentration, and does not have any side effects.

Also, yoga, medication, regular walking or jogging would help. If you think there are certain stressors at work or personal life, it would help to sort them out.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Observing a chronic concentration and thought collection problem. Getting headache with nausea. Having chronic constipation. Advise? 2 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thank you very much for your help. One last question I have is, any specific duration and dosage that you would recommend for piracetam?

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Usual dose is 800 mg twice daily

Detailed Answer:
I usually give piracetam at a dose of 800 mg twice daily for one month.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM