Observed swollen lymph nodes in the groin area, hands, legs, neck. FNAC reported inguinal lympadenopathy. Cure?

Nov 2013

I have observed swollen lymphnodes in the groin area, on the hands and left side of my neck, the FNAC report says they are nonspecific inguinal lympadenopathy. but my thighs are painful and at times I am felling trouble while walking. my doctor prescribed antibiotics and pain relieving tablets and also recommended to take DELCAR FORTE tablets.

I am 43 years of age, non diabetic. Please recommend me what else treatment I CAN GO FOR TO BE RELIEVED.
thank you,
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I should tell you that the treatment so far has been correct. The commonest cause of enlarged lymph nodes is a bacterial infection. So, a course of antibiotics is the usual initial treatment.

FNAC is a simple screening procedure and many times, the actual diagnosis gets missed. Since in your case, the lymph node swellings are still persisting and there is pain, I would recommend you to to go for an excision biopsy. In this case, the enlarged lymph node (single node) would be removed by a minor surgery and sent for biopsy. This is a confirmatory test and does not leave any doubts in diagnosis. We need to exclude conditions such as tuberculosis (TB) and lymphoma.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any more information.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Observed swollen lymph nodes in the groin area, hands, legs, neck. FNAC reported inguinal lympadenopathy. Cure? 11 minutes later

dear Doctor garu,

Thanks for your response,

I have consulted Two surgeons of my town, namely, Dr. Tirumala XXXXXXX and Dr.M XXXXXXX Both have set aside the idea of going for a Biopsy, stating that nonspecific limphadenopathy never need a biopsy.

If it is really not that serious I will take it for granted but If you can refer me a doctor/surgeon at Vizag or some where I will consult them once.

Please advise me.

Thanking you

With regards,

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

I agree "non specific lymphadenopathy" is not a serious issue. But this also means that it should get better soon (within one to two weeks) with treatment.
There are chances of mistakes in FNAC report, as only a small amount of tissue/fluid is sent for analysis.
So, what I mean is if you are getting better, there is no need to worry. However, if the problems are persisting or worsening, then it is a better idea to go for a lymph node biopsy.
I do not know anyone at Vizag. But if needed, there are a few good surgeons available at Apollo Hyderabad.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM