Ask a Urologist   »  

Observed small sack near anus. Problem in controlling urine. Born with spina bifida. Guide

My son who is 3 years old. I observed he has a very small sack near the anus. Is that a problem? He is also having problem of controlling urine. urine flows in drops without his knowledge at times. He was born with spina bifida and went through surgery on day 2. The doctor who has conducted the surgery has recommended to consult a urologist on consulting for control of urine and motion. I am posting this online for advice on how to proceed with kind of issue. Thanks in advance.

Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 56 minutes later
Welcome to the forum.
It is not easy to manage such a child, at home, i know. You also need to understand that this is not a problem that can be solved by a single consultation.
He needs evaluation by NEUROLOGIST/ NEUROSURGEON and a PEDIATRIC surgeon.
The neurologist assess his neurological status and his chances of recovery from the spinal disorder.
The pediatric surgeon will assess his chance of recovering his bladder and bowel sensations.
Essentially, it is necessary to wait for the neurological status to improve and whether any surgical procedure will help him recover faster. This is decided by the neurosurgeon.
The pediatric surgeon after clinical examination will do special studies to evaluate his bladder status - like cystometry (uro-dynamics).
Also it necessary to keep his bowels smooth and avoid constipation.
THE SACK IS PART OF THE SPINAL PROBLEM and had to be managed together with the spinal disorder.
Hope this helps,
Wishing him best health.

Follow-up: Observed small sack near anus. Problem in controlling urine. Born with spina bifida. Guide 1 hour later
Thanks sir for your response. I have wrongly mentioned in the question as sack near anus, but Actually I am referring to scrotum below the penis. The size of the scrotum is small and I do not feel the two balls i.e., testicles on touching scrotum. Is it normal for children at age 3 or I should be referring to a specialist? Please advice. Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
welcome back.
One or both testes may not have descended from the abdomen ( Normally the testes develop within the abdomen and descend into the scrotum at birth.
At times, one or both may not come down and may be retained inside. This is called undescended testes.
Only a careful clinical examination can diagnose the condition.
It is not normal.
So, it is wise to see your doctor early.
Best regards