Obese, past menopause, anxiety, hot flashes, sweating, shivering. Causes ?

I am a 61 yr old obese female, past menopause and I experience excessive anxiety and heat eminating from my torso through my extremities accompanied with excessive sweating in my scalp, neck, chest and shaking of my hands
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later

Anxiety, excessive heat emanating form extremities, sweating, shaky hands, etc all are features of post menopausal syndrome. Kindly don't worry as it is not a disease and almost every woman of your age experiences this.

Kindly get yourself examined by a Gynecologist so that he/she may examine you and rule out what exactly is causing your symptoms and many effective treatments are available, from lifestyle adjustments to hormone therapy or phytoestrogens or low dose antidepressants, if the symptoms get severe.

Bring in some lifestyle changes:
1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2.) Avoid high calorie foods and saturated fats.
3.) Exercise regularly for an hour and brisk walk for 30 to 40 minutes daily and maintain a healthy weight
4.) Avoid smoking and alcoholism
5.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation
6.) make sleep a priority and sleep for a minimum of 8 hours daily
7.) Dress in layers and avoid hot beverages warm rooms, caffeine, Spicy foods, to avoid hot flashes
8.) Join a support group , and share your Experiences with other women who experience similar symptoms as you, this will help you ease your burden and will help you understand your condition better
9.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your Follow up Queries.

Follow-up: Obese, past menopause, anxiety, hot flashes, sweating, shivering. Causes ? 7 hours later
I'm concerned because I am well past menopause. The heat begins in my chest and radiates outwards and my head and face sweat profusely. This can start even while I am simply watching TV or while sitting in Church. My memory is markedly affected as well. In particular, I cannot remember items (say on a list) or recognize people in crowds - and of course, I break out in sweats until sweat runs down the length of my hair and my face.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

There is no age for these symptoms. You can experience the symptoms late also.
Usually the symptoms increase with increasing age.

An examination by Neurophysician will help in ruling out the causes of deficits in your memory.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.