Obese, dont smoke or drink. Want to do a semen analysis test. Suggestion

ENT Specialist
My husband is getting his first insurance next week. He has not seen any specialist whatsoever for almost 11 years. Where should we start: what specialist should we see first? He feels healthy, but the only issues we would like to address is obesity [265 pounds at 6'1"] and a semen analysis as we have not been successful at conceiving [although we do know that we are challenged due to my PCOS]. He will have a PPO coverage that includes infertility. Also, he works at a hardware store and I am concerned about toxicity--how can we test him for that? He does not smoke or drink, and exercises regularly.
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 51 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. He has a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 31 which puts him in borderline obesity. If he can loose 8-10 pounds, he would have a BMI below 30 and hence only be considered overweight.

2. Besides a semen analysis, get a full check up done to rule out hypertension, diabetes, arthritis, obstructive sleep apnea and breathing disorders. Get his Thyroid function tests done as increased body fat interferes with the hormonal balance in the body as most important hormones are derived from fat.

3. You will probably have to pay a higher insurance premium depending upon the particular type of the insurance and the company involved.

4. PPO Coverage is more expensive and hence more likely to benefit him as the criteria will be less stringent.

5. Most of the toxins in hardware stores are inhaled aromatic compounds and chemicals. Long term exposure to these may also lead to infertility. Get his Lung (Pulmonary) function tests (Spirometry) done. Get a Chest X-ray done.

6. It is good to hear that he does not smoke, drink and exercises regularly.

7. You may follow up here with his test results.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.