Nursing mother, using manual breast pump, only 40 ml is coming. Any tablets to increase the milk ?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
hi i am a nursing mother.. i am using manual breast pump to feed my baby.. 40ml is only coming..i am taking 4 lptaden tablet to increase my milk?
suggest a tablet or give me a solutions.. i am feeding five to six times
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. K. C. Pant 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
For effective lactation, I would suggest the following:
a. It is necessary that you have positive thoughts and relax mentally.
b. Most importantly, effective sucking by the baby when hungry will help stimulate milk production. So you must allow your baby to suck effectively.
c. If you have a retracted nipple or cracked nipples, get it treated.
d. Take lots of liquids in terms of juices.
e. Relax and enjoy feeding
f. You may take a drug like metoclopramide under the guidance of your physician
g. Use a pump as a last resort.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. I would be available for follow ups.
Follow-up: Nursing mother, using manual breast pump, only 40 ml is coming. Any tablets to increase the milk ? 13 hours later
my kid is not at all sucking.. he likes only bottle fed.. thats y i am using a breast pump..he drinks my milk only at night..
Answered by Dr. K. C. Pant 11 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
I think there could be some mechanical/anatomical problem which is making it difficult for your baby to hold the nipple in mouth and suck effectively. Mostly, a small retracted nipple or an engorged breast can cause frustration in a baby who refuses to suck further.
Thus, enough sensations are not created for laid down reflex.

Kindly get examined by gynecologist for this aspect of the problem and follow her advice. Using a breast pump always is not a good practice. This may suppress your normal reflexes.

Hope this helps.