Nursing mother. Started passing loose stool. Is it safe to take eldofer?

Feb 2013

Hello Doctor,
This query is regarding my wife's health.
She is a mother of 1 month old baby and she is giving mothers milk to our daughter. From yesterday she had to go to stools four times a day (semi-solid, no change in colour or smell observed). She is getting tired because of this.
Is it OK to take some medicine like "Eldofer" at this stage as she is feeding baby? or Please suggest an alternative medicine which can be used at this stage?
Thanks in advance.
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Parenting
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 27 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Eldoper contains loperamide which is secreted into breast milk in small quantity and it may effect one month old baby.

But the effects of loperamide are not studied practically during breast feeding.
So I advise you not to use the drug (Eldoper) for mother during the period of breast feeding.

And loperamide decreases loose stools by the action of decreased bowel movements and it wont treat the primary cause of diarrhea or effects of diarrhea like dehydration.

I advise you to be careful and avoid using self medication and unprescribed drugs during breast feeding as they may effect both the mother and the baby.

The tiredness is due to loss of water and electrolytes from the body through loose stools.

Monitoring and maintaining of her hydration is important.

I advise you to maintain her hydration by giving oral rehydration solutions like Electral (ORS), Pedialyte, coconut water, and lemon water.

Probiotics like econorm XXXXXXX or sporolac XXXXXXX can be given one or two sachets per day for 3 to 5 days, as the probiotics will restore the healthy gut flora and decrease diarrhea.

And I advise her to wash hands with a liquid soap each time after toilet to prevent the spread of infection to the baby.

If loose motions are continuing, consult Physician for further management.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.