Nursing mother. Noticed a vein popping out of nipple. Is this normal?

Feb 2013

Hi i been breadtfeeding for almost 6 months i notice a vein is poping out on my nipple everytime i breastfeed now is that normal and do i need to stop breastfeeding because of the vein
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 34 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Presence of vein on your nipple is a normal thing.

As the veins present in the skin of the other parts of the body, the presence of veins in the skin on breasts and nipples is a normal finding.

There is no need to stop the breastfeeding.

The nipples are XXXXXXX of sensory nerves and muscles and they become activated because of the stimulation by the act of breastfeeding leading to the prominence of nipples causing the popping out of the structures present there including the veins.

Nothing to worry and continue the breastfeeding to your child.

If you are facing any soreness, discomfort, and pain because of the popping vein while giving feeds then it will be a matter of concern and you can consult your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.