Nursing mother. Feeling weak and tired. What diet should be taken?

Feb 2013

Hi Doctor,

My Wife 'XXXXXXX' is brest feeding our 1.5 years old kid and she has lost a lot of weight.
Though she does not have any other problems, She does not feel energitic. She often feels tired.

Are there any food suppliments that she has to take ? What do you advice ?

Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 25 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

During breastfeeding the mother requires approximately an extra of 500 kilo calories in addition to the routine daily calorie requirement.

As mother she needs extra kilo calories of energy to cope up with breastfeeding, to take care of the activities of the child, and to maintain her own activities and health.

Therefore she has to consume a diet of two persons in a rough estimate.

I advise you to give the balanced and nutritious diet consisting of fruits, vegetables, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, eggs, fish, meat (if non-vegetarian) in addition to her regular diet on a daily or routine basis.

There are food supplements available to XXXXXXX the nutritional requirements of the breastfeeding mothers like Mama's Best (Abbott).

She can take these commercially available food supplements in addition to the advised balanced and nutritious diet to gain the lost weight and to maintain a good health.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.