Nurse. Get blood stains on dress. Received wounds, deep scratch causing bleeding. Worried about Hepatitis transmission?

Hi there,
I am a nurse who works in an ER. I regularly get blood on my clothes, and recently have been trying to look at how easy it would be to transmit it. I come home, throw my scrubs in the hamper and some have been covered with blood. One time I received about 5 puncture wounds and a deep scratch that caused bleeding from my car after handling those scrubs. I understand that hepatitis c can live in dried non visible blood for hours to days... So I am wondering about my risk in this case. What if there was dried blood residue on my hand?

Sorry I meant to say "cat" not "car". Basically I am just terrified because I'm fairly certain that i did touch the blood residue on the scrubs and now am worried if i am at risk. I didn't get a chance to wash my hands before my cat scratched me and gave me those puncture wounds.. And didn't think anything of it at the time, but now I'm very upset and have anxiety over it

Thank you for your time.
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 4 hours later
Hello!Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Hepatitis C can live in dried blood for up to 4 days in a perfect environment. However it will rarely lead to transmission in such a way. To confirm, get HCVRNA (qualitative) after 14 days of exposure in your blood or Anti HCV antibody if the exposure was 4-6 weeks ago. Also get test for Hepatitis B if you are not vaccinated, and if vaccinated get Anti HBs antibody titre. If it is less than get booster dose of hepatitis B vaccine.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.
Follow-up: Nurse. Get blood stains on dress. Received wounds, deep scratch causing bleeding. Worried about Hepatitis transmission? 3 hours later
Ok I will for sure, I know that I need to have my blood tested. So the likelihood of transferring the blood residue on my hands into my bloodstream via cat scratch and several puncture wounds is very low? I just need some reassurance because I know it can be transferred when blood is Invisible, like on razors, etc. just need some reassurance in this case. I may be completely overreacting but that is why I'm here
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 24 minutes later
Hello!Thanks for appreciating and understanding there is very low risk but it is still there so get blood test to confirm it. Remain in touch