Numerous brown scaly patches in low sun exposure areas, photosensitive. History of mild mixed collagen vascular disease. Reason?

I am a 60 y/o woman with 20 year history of mild mixed collagen vascular disease. B/C I am photosensitive I have avoided sun for that time . In past month I have developed numerous brown scaley patches in areas of low sun exposure .... Eg. Eyebrows, inside and backs of arms and legs. They begin as discolorstions and gradually grow in size and become slightly elevated and scaley. They do not itch or burn. Any thoughts.
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

The laying of protective keratin over the skin is in response to tolerable range of UV light in the natural sunlight.This keratin layer is one which protects from many foreign antigens , infective agents and allergens.

When skin is exposed less to sunlight the keratin layer is defective and leads to continuous irritation by local irritants like salts in the sweat , dust which elicit a continuous subclinical inflammation which is responsible for such de pigmentation. Also the defective keratin cannot protect the basal layers of the skin which leads to desquamation of the upper skin layers leading to scaly skin.

Do apply Gold silk oil or Petroleum jelly which avoid the irritation from local irritants and helps you prevent such lesions.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.