Numbness on finger, constant pain in neck and back. MRI showed bulging disc. Safe remedy?

Neurologist, Surgical
I have neck/back pain at the top of thoracic/bottom of cervical spine. It is a pinching, burning type pain that is constant. Sometimes I feel a shock down one or both arms, depending on how I move. I have also woken up with my index and middle fingers numb on occasion. I have had this checked in the past with MRI which found I had a buldging disc that was irritating the nerve and causing the pain. Could this just be an exacerbation or could it be getting worse? I don't know whether to see my PCP for further testing or just wait and see if it gets better.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Brain Tumor
Answered by Dr. Visvanathan K 48 minutes later

From the symptoms you describe, it is likely that this is an exacerbation of your problems. Some of the red flag symptoms that indicate "myelopathy" i.e. the spinal cord itself is being compressed include clumsiness or weakness of the arms or legs, any weakness, feeling of tightness in the muscles etc.

However you state that the previous MRI’s (Magnetic resonance imaging scan) have not shown any evidence of cord compression and only the nerves are irritated. Further, I do not know when the MRI's were done and how the character of your symptoms have changed since the last MRI.

It is not a bad idea to see your PCP who will examine you and specifically look for those red flag signs and if there is any worry ask for an MRI scan.

Hope this helps. If you have any further queries, please do get back to me.