Numbness of leg whike driving, skin elevation. Is this due to problem with the nerves or diabetes?

I can see something jump in my skin like my nerves are bad , my leg went numb on me when I was driving ,and sometimes my nerves will cause me to be clumsy please he
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
The symptoms you are mentioning gives the suspicion of nerve damages of the legs caused by long standing poorly controlled diabetes.
Nerve injuries are caused by decreased blood flow and high blood sugar levels.

About half of people with diabetes will develop nerve damage. Most of the time symptoms do not begin until 10 to 20 years after diabetes has been diagnosed.
This nerve damage is called as diabetic neuropathy.
Nerve injuries generally affect nerves of whole body and symptoms which occur depend upon the the nerves that are affected.
When peripheral nerves are affected,they result in tingling sensations and numbness in lower legs and soles of feet.

Please control your sugar meticulously and take some injectable VIT B12 as per advise of your doctor.
Don't forget to take care of your foot.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luckĀ