Numbness, itching, dizziness, blue fingers. What can this be?

HI, I have started pa school so I have been stressed but just this past week I have had intermittent numbness, itching, dizziness, bluish fingers, should I go to the ER what can this be?
I forgot to mention, my pulse is weak as well. and occasional chest pain
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 4 hours later

Intermittent numbness, dizziness, and bluish fingers all these can be due to severe anemia. So please do hemoglobin estimation immediately and if it is really low, then work ups to be done to detect its cause like serum iron, ferritin, TIBC, peripheral blood smear etc. In that case, you must consult a hematologist and take his opinion. Blood transfusion and haematinics may be needed.

Again, these symptoms can be attributed to peripheral neuropathy because of connective tissue disorder or diabetes. Therefore, you should undergo some blood testing like FBS, PPBS, serum XXXXXXX serum anti-ds DNA. In addition, a nerve conduction velocity test (NCV) can be done on that affected limb and consult a neurologist. An ECG should also be done because you had occasional chest pain.

Don’t be afraid. Your symptoms are not so serious that you have to go to ER immediately. You do those work ups gradually then consult your doctors whom I mentioned.

Hope I have answered your queries. If you want to know further you may ask me freely. If you are satisfied with my answer, please write a review on this answer.

God bless you.

Dr Arnab Maji