Numbness in toe. Is this common? Worried about multiple sclerosis

Nov 2013

I have a little bit of numbness on the right side of my middle toe (beside my big toe). On my left foot.
I only notice it when I wiggle my big toe and that toe together. I think it may also be a little bit less sensitive then the same toe on the other side.
My mom has ms and I am worried.
My doctor says I have nothing to worry about but is this common? Could this be something I've had for a long time and just started to notice now? I am having terrible anxiety over this and my doctor reassures me it's fine and normal nut I want to be sure.
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
I noted that you have numbness of the second toe of left foot.
First of all, let me reassure you that it is not a serious illness and in no way, it is a sign of MS.
The commonest reason of numbness in toes is related to our footwear. The nerves of the toes get slightly compressed due to the footwear that leads to numbness and lack of sensitivity.
So, if you have changed your footwear recently or are using a foot wear that is too tight, I suggest you change it. Your symptoms would improve after that.
There is no need for any investigations at present.
No specific medicines are required. However, you may take certain nerve vitamins such as vitamin B12 supplements at a dose of 1500 micrograms per day for one month.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any further queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad