Numbness in the fingers, carpal tunnel syndrome

I'n new at computer..just sent question, don't know if you got it..I'm 56, I'm an Electrologist/Manicurist..4yrs ago I had a deeptissue body message/she worked mostly on back shoulders.When I left got into my car and started driving both my hands (1st three fingers on each)started going numb, since then mostly my right hand gives me a problem when I drive, try to do my clients, when I wake first thing in the morning...seems to me to be a pinced nerve in my neck, how to fix? I don't have insurance..
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 25 hours later

First let me explain the reason for your symptoms - Numbness of the first three fingers happens due to compression of the median nerves. This nerve enter the wrist through bony canal. When you twist or move your wrists, it may compromise the space in the canal and cause more numbness. This condition is called as "Carpal Tunnel syndrome".

It may also occur due to compression of a nerve called C6 radicle in the neck. This happens due to degenerative cervical spondylosis. However simultaneous symptoms in both the hands is unusual in spondylosis.

So based on your description, I feel you have symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.

A doctor and get the test done.

Meanwhile, to reduce the numbness
1. Try sleeping over the arms and hands. If numbness occurs throw your hands in the air to increases the blood supply to the nerves.
2. You can even use splint in the night time.
3. Avoid twisting movements of the wrists if possible.

Hope my answers are adequate and helpful. If there are any more queries, I will be glad to address them.

Follow-up: Numbness in the fingers, carpal tunnel syndrome 19 hours later
Hello Dr XXXXXXX Thank you for your prompt reply..What are the costs associated with a nerve conduction study in both hands (painful?),x-rays? Can and how will they fix the problem once these tests are done? Helen
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 4 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

I am not sure of the cost of nerve conduction study in the US. It should not be a costly test.

A battery of current will be applied to the nerves which will cause minimal discomfort to you during the stimulation which most of feel as painless procedure.

It confirms the diagnosis of good health.