Numbness in right arm. Suggest medical cure for this?

it my husband his write arm goes to sleep all tine at work and at home just sit-down
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need some help from you to find cause ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

It seems like your husband could be facing a vitamin deficiency (most probably vitamin B 12), but this will have to be confirmed. Could you also provide me with some information about your husband ma'am, this would greatly help me. First, his height and weight please ma'am. Has he had any injuries to his neck, back or head? Does he get ulcers or a raw sensation in his mouth? What kind of diet does he follow? Is he a vegetarian or a non-vegetarian?

Numbness in the extremities (in your husbands case the right arm) can be due to various causes, let me list them out for you:
-Injury to the brachial plexus (injury to a few fibres that run from the spine; back injury)
-Carpal tunnel syndrome
-Vitamin deficiency
-Cervical spondylosis (does he have any pain radiating from neck to both upper hands?)
-Pinched nerve (compression of a nerve caused by pressure from surrounding structures; will require an MRI)

As you see the causes are related to the questions I have asked ma'am. With a little help from you, we will narrow down our list and then require a few investigations to confirm the diagnosis. For now, you could start your husband on a diet XXXXXXX in vitamin B 12 and Iron; and also give him vitamin B complex supplements (one pill a day to be taken on an empty stomach in the morning).

I hope the information I have provided is clear to you ma'am, and that it helps your husband. Please feel free to keep in touch with me and write to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Numbness in right arm. Suggest medical cure for this? 7 hours later
thank you
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

You are most welcome. But please do discuss all the abovementioned possibilities with your husbands doctor, as we will have to find the exact cause and initiate treatment accordingly. Wishing your husband a speedy recovery and both of you a long and beautiful life tigether.

Best wishes.