Numbness in limbs, muscle tightness, GERD, burning mouth, interrupted sleep. Have compressed nerve. Surgical treatment?

Spine Surgeon
Question
Hello
I had some slipped disc surgery 3 yrs ago and now suffer a compressed nerve in the same C6/7/8 area becuase that part could not be treated due to the disc nucleus. However I suffer some problems as a result of this including tingling/numbness in hands/feet/under arms which is almost ike high blood pressure although I am told I don't have such,also tight neck/shoulder muscles, limitation on neck/head rotation and some chronic conditions have developed which appear to be related being gerd/reflux/hiatus hernia/burning mouth syndrome and interrupted sleep (perhaps pineal galnd interference related?). My query is whether there is any surgical treatment that can be done to sort this that is not major surgey involving drilling through the spine (traditional anterior discoplasty I think it is called)? Symtoms first appeared 3 1/2 yrs ago and no known cause although damage believed to be trauma related.
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Osteoporosis

Answered by Dr. S K Mishra 6 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in.
I would like to clarify a few issues here before I can give you my opinion:
a. Do you have compression at the same site where the surgery was done?
b. Was the surgery done at a single disc level or at two disc levels?
c. Was a fusion procedure performed or an artificial disc was put in?
d. Did your symptoms get relieved after surgery or did they persist?
e. What is your height and weight?

Irrespective of whatever was done previously, if there is a significant compression requiring surgery, it is a safe procedure in expert hands even if it requires drilling.

Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Numbness in limbs, muscle tightness, GERD, burning mouth, interrupted sleep. Have compressed nerve. Surgical treatment? 11 hours later
Answers area - a yes b/n one of the two discs
b - done at 2 dics levels
c - Neither - laser just removed swelling
d - yes greatly except for compressed nerve which told that could not be corrected by the plasma laser discoplasty surgery
e - about 5'5.5"and 69kg.

Answered by Dr. S K Mishra 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

So now you have compression at one disc level and you require surgery. Anterior cervical discectomy and artificial disc placement/fusion are options. However, it’s for you and surgeon to decide. This surgery is very safe in expert hands.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have more concerns.

Follow-up: Numbness in limbs, muscle tightness, GERD, burning mouth, interrupted sleep. Have compressed nerve. Surgical treatment? 1 hour later
HI
The thing is that I have been advised NOT to have further surgey even though I have developed chronic conditions from the condition and my quality of life ha been markedly affected. I was referred by my GP to a musculo skeletal specialist said this and also my surgeon who did the prior surgery advised against further surgery. I Given your advice I am wondering if I should see a spine surgeon for a further opinion?
Thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. S K Mishra 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

I think you should consult another spine surgeon since you have symptoms bothering your daily life.

Hope this helps.

Wish you speedy recovery.