Numbness in legs and arms with tingling sensation, happens when sleeping. What could this be?

Aug 2012

Sometimes I get numbness in my legs and arms, also tingling sensation. This usually happens when I'm sleeping. What could be causing this?
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 2 days later
Hi there,

Symptoms of tingling and numbness in the limbs which you get can be due to couple of reasons:
1. The nerve conduction carrying sensation from your limbs is affected.
2. General metabolic disturbances in the body.

As the symptoms are not continuous, do they increase or appear particularly when you over-exert yourself for that day? Do you have pain in spine at neck and waist areas?

If you have no such accompanying symptoms, then local causes disturbing your nerve conduction are unlikely.

Are you on any antiepileptic medications? Do you also have symptoms suggestive of perimenopause like sweating episodes etc? If no, then in your case you also need to check certain nutritional or metabolic parameters like Vitamin B12 levels, serum calcium, serum phosphorus, albumin, and Alkaline phosphate levels, thyroid profile and most importantly sugars by Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT) to rule out common general metabolic causes of these symptoms.

If anything like increase in blood sugars, or disturbed thyroid functions, low levels of Vit B12, low calcium in the body is seen by these tests, then certainly there are treatments for these various conditions to alleviate the symptoms after further appropriate investigations.

So please do not worry and let me know about the tests results when you get them done.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have other enquiries.

All the best!!