Numbness in left hand, headache, bladder incontinence, MS, CIS

I am a 40 year old woman that weighs 155lbs. I am 5' 3". Over 9 mths ago I began experienceing numbness (decreased sensation) and tingling in my left hand. History of headaches, bladder incontinence-2 children by C-section, unsteady when I walked, especially upstairs, forgetfulness and had to search for words when I am speaking. Had severe rib pain that wrapped around my back I went to E.R. and they couldn't figure out the problem. I am B-12 Deficient currently giving myself weekly injections of it. I have had a few instances of what I believe is trigeminal neuralgia on the Left side of my face and below my Left eye. I am currently on Welbutrin and Celexa. My GP referred me to a neurologist. She sent me for M.R.I. of my brain it came back normal. She did a nerve conductive study and it came back normal. All of my blood work was good also. I am now having pain in left middle finger in the middle joint. No swelling or redness just pain. The neurologist wants to send me for an m.r.i. of my back but insurance has denied to pay for this. Does this sound like M.S. to you? Or something else? Thank you!
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar Kalal 2 hours later

You have described the symptoms but didn't give the time of occurrence and present status of symptoms of headache, unsteady gait, bladder incontinence, forgetfulness,numbness and tingling sensation. Their detailed description would have been helpful.

But nevertheless the symptoms of forgetfulness, searching for words,numbness and tingling in the hand needs attention. The possibilities that it can be are

1)Benign symptoms unrelated to MS

2)CIS( clinically isolated event) which can be attributed to MS. To have a conclusive diagnosis of MS you should have at least two episodes of CIS. CIS has to be corroborated with the evidence of MRI( 95% people have positive demyelination evidence in MRI if they have MS), which is in your case normal.

Your case does not fit into the traditional symptom criteria used to diagnose MS. Visual problems are commonly the first symptoms of the disease.

The best thing would be to consult a neurologist again . He may run MRI spine and Spinal tap tests to look for the evidence of MS disease.

The complaint of pain in your middle finger in middle joint is completely unrelated and is an isolated event.

Hope I had answered your queries. I would be available if you have any further queries.