Numbness in hands and arms. How to get relief?

Mar 2013
I have numbness in both hands and arms on and off all day and night I sleep very little at night because the pain is bad it sometimes takes 30 minutes to get feeling back. I can only use my phone or blow dryer as examples for a minute before the numbness starts again so I will switch hands . I am exhausted and don't know what to do anymore my primary doctor told me its my menapos but I don't think so ?
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 33 minutes later

Numbness and tingling are abnormal sensations that can occur anywhere in your body, but are often felt in your fingers, hands, feet, arms, or legs.

There are many possible causes of numbness and tingling:

Sitting or standing in the same position for a long time, or sleeping in abnormal posture.
Injuring a particular nerve or nerve root
Pressure on the nerves of the spine, such as from a herniated disk
Pressure on peripheral nerves from enlarged blood vessels, tumors, scar tissue, or infection
Shingles or herpes zoster infection
Lack of blood supply to an area due to vascular diseases
Medical conditions like Carpal tunnel syndrome (pressure on a nerve at the wrist),
Diabetes, Migraines, Multiple sclerosis, Seizures, Stroke, thyroid disorders, Raynauds phenomenon, abnormal levels of electrolytes such as calcium, sodium or potassium, vitamin B complex deficiency, certain medicines which cause nerve damage, toxins like lead, alcohol, tobacco or radiation , certain insect bites, seafood toxins etc.

Due to peri menopausal conditions, hormonal imbalance might cause such symptoms, however the severity you describe does not correlate with mere peri menopausal changes.

You need to consult your primary care physician for a detailed evaluation of the causes :

Blood tests may include:

Complete blood count ( CBC), Electrolyte level (measurement of body chemicals and minerals), Thyroid function tests, Measurement of vitamin levels, Heavy metal or toxicology screening, complete liver and renal profile, glucose tolerance tests to assess blood sugars, and neurological and radiological assessment as needed.

Meanwhile, do take adequate calcium, vitamin D and Vitamin B complex supplements.

Do take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.

Follow-up: Numbness in hands and arms. How to get relief? 54 minutes later
Ok my follow up question they want a EMG test done next week what would they be screening me for ??? Some blood work came back with inflammation / inflammatory and they don't know why RA was ruled out
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
An EMG would screen you for neurological and muscular diseases causing numbness.
If you could scan and send your blood work, I could comment better.