Numbness in fingers. What are the possible reasons?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi my name is XXXXXXX I am 43, 5'8 and weigh about 230lbs. My thumb, middle finger, and ring finger tips tingle and kind of have a numbing feeling. There is no diabetic history in my family. I just had a physical a couple of weeks ago and everything was normal, other than I need ti lose some weight. I was just wondering what it might be.
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query.first,i dont think you should be worried.if there is no motoric disorder of finger then this is not some serious neurologic disease. There are few possible causes. First one is nerve compression due to ulnar or carpal channel syndrome, arms swelling or arms adiposity. Second one is neuropathy which despite diabetic, can be autoimmune,alcoholic, metabolic or idiopathic neuropathy. To rule this out you should do emg and do certain blood tests to verify is there any nutritient which is missing. Thridly,it can be caused by anxiety and psychosomatic disorders. In every case,i suggest to take b vitamin,lose some weight,eat healthy food.avoid sugar and alcohol. If symptoms persist,do emg and blood tests. Carpal tunnel syndrome should be treated surgically. Wish you good health.feel free to ask. Regards