Numbness in feet and hands, diabetic. Can fish oil supplements help ?

diabetes related numbness when I wake up in the morning? Numb hands and feet, almost dead. Need to wait a long time to get circulation back. can fish oil supplements help? What is your recommendation? Which doctor can he see in the NJ/NY area to find out about fish oil or other types of treatment?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 15 hours later
Hello and Thanks for the query

Regarding the numbness it looks like he has diabetes related neuropathy. But he needs exclusion of other causes of neuropathy which can sometime be masked by the diabetes. So he needs his nerve tested clinically as well as by ENMG ( Electroneuromyography). For this he needs to see a neurologist or a electrophysiologist.

Regarding the fish oil supplement in neuropathy, they contain lot of omega fatty acids which are anti-oxidants. Anti-oxidants are benficial in diabetes related complications. So I personally feel he may benefit on a long term by supplements of fish oil preparations.

I am sorry, you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of your Neurologist and Diabetologist and get started on the medications.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.