Numbness in face, headache, taking Adderall, excessive sweat, have stress, stomach cramp. Should I get an early appointment?

Question
I am wondering what the likely issue I am experiencing is and if I need to make an early appointment with my GP about a symptom I have that is scaring me. I will mention some background details that may or may not be relevant. Thank you in advance.

The symptom is that for about 1 week I have had a mild but persistent numb/tingling/cold sensation on my face. Mostly right above my upper lip and a little bit on the skip above that area but below my eyes. I have also had a very, very mild headache that comes and goes.

My only medication is Adderall, which I have taken for years with no ill effects other than some excessive sweating at times. I am under a great deal of stress, since I am taking final exams, qualifying doctoral exams, and my best friend seems to have disappeared starting just about a week ago.

Also, a week ago (on Memorial day) I drank lots of alcohol even though I only drink 2-3 times per year normally. It made my stomach cramp and I felt ill that night, but I drank about 5-6 glasses of water and it seemed like I had avoided a hangover the next day. I was slightly sluggish and I felt this facial sensation, but I wrote both of those things off as very minor after effects. The sluggishness has mostly gone away, but maybe not entirely (it's hard to tell -- I'm under a lot of exogenous stress this week that's been making studying almost impossible).

I have a regularly scheduled appointment with my family doctor in about 3-4 weeks. If this is not likely (less than a 5% chance, lets say) of being a serious problem then I would like to know so that I can just relax and talk to my doctor at that time. However, if you think this is more serious and that I should schedule an early appointment then please let me know.

Finally, I wanted to mention that if I bite my lip or touch my face the numbness/sensation seems to disappear for the moment but then it returns right after I quit making the contact with my face. I do not have weakness on one side of my body or other symptoms of multiple sclerosis to my knowledge (except maybe the general mental sluggishness?).

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

It can be due to parasthesia skin which is due to dysfunctioning of neurons. Parasthesias are common in alcohol intake in alcoholics. It can also be due to diabetes, hypothyroidism, peripheral vascular disease, multiple sclerosis, neurological causes or malnutrition.

Get your blood sugar and thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 supplements for some days and see if the symptoms improve. If the symptoms persist then get the above mentioned possibilities ruled out from a neurologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Numbness in face, headache, taking Adderall, excessive sweat, have stress, stomach cramp. Should I get an early appointment? 54 minutes later
Thank you very much, Dr. XXXXXXX I have a final exam tomorrow, is there any harm in taking my adderall and is there anything I can do to improve the mental sluggishness?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

You can take your medication as prescribed. The symptoms that you are having look like anxiety neurosis due to stress in your life.

Here are some of the treatment options which you can follow:

1)     When you have such symptoms, breathe slowly through the nose and talk to your family and friends.

2)     Do not take caffeine of alcohol at night just before going to bed.

3)     Indulge in yoga and meditation to calm your mind.

4)     You can also indulge in progressive muscle relaxation which is useful in anxiety by alternately tensing and relaxing the muscles.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.