Numbness in arms and legs. Smoking and alcohol addiction. Advice?

Psychiatrist
Question
hi, i often wake up in the monring feeling very numb, especially in my arms and legs, i also wake up extra early because of the numbness, i drink alchol nearly every day, around 6 to 8 bottles of 5% proof larger, i also smoke, is it effecting me in some way? do i need to cut the drinking out or see my gp?
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 20 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Excessive use of alcohol can lead to these symptoms because of following multiple reasons:

-Your body is getting dependent on alcohol. Due to that you are developing symptoms in early morning (due to prolong time from night drink). These are called withdrawal symptoms and may also present as anxiety, restlessness, headache and tension in some patients.
-Alcohol cause multiple vitamins deficiency which can lead to above symptoms.
-Excessive Alcohol use may lead to anxiety and depressive illness which can present as above somatic symptoms.

Following steps will be helpful in management:
-Visit nearby de-addiction specialist or psychiatrist to stop smoking and alcohol use. Do not stop alcohol suddenly as it may lead to severe withdrawal even seizure in some case. You may reduce 10% of alcohol use every third day till you fix appointment.
-Start multivitamins

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.