Numbness in arm with cold sensation in chest area. Any neurological problem?

I woke up last night at 5:30am with both arms numb but after moving them, the problem went away in about 1-2mins. I also had an icy cold sensation in the central chest area, which seemed to go outwards. I have had the numb arms before during sleep and disturbing the sleep but usually only in one arm and it resolved after movement of the arm. Could this be something neurological is it perhaps something to do with the heart, a weak heart or blockages preventing total blood flow to the extremities?
I should mention that I am currently awaiting neurological evaluation for leg muscle fasciculations which are ongoing with various levels of intensity and these may be related to the sensation of pins and needles which I am also experiencing after the onset of the muscle twitching, trembling and shaking.
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 53 minutes later

First of all, let me tell you that you do not have anything serious.

Minor nerve compression in sleep can cause similar complaints the way you have described but you do not have any overt nerve compression based upon the history.

I do not think that the complaints you have described are related to heart problem too.

Please wait and when you get to see your doctor, for the evaluation of twitching, you can discuss with him.

Until then do not worry.

Best wishes
Follow-up: Numbness in arm with cold sensation in chest area. Any neurological problem? 28 minutes later
Thanks for the information and assurance.
I presume that there is likely no connection between the twitching and the temporary numbness during sleep.
By overt nerve compression, do you mean something in the central nervous system whereas minor nerves are those in the arms and legs?

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 21 minutes later
Yes, no connection.

I mean nerve connection in the peripheral nerves, not central.
Best wishes
Follow-up: Numbness in arm with cold sensation in chest area. Any neurological problem? 1 hour later

Thanks again. I have asked about my muscle twitching online before, would you agree that emg, nerve conduction, blood tests and possibly mri of brain/spine are possible tests to rule out serious disorders? Is it important who does the testing to ensure the emgs are interpreted correctly or is it quite straightforward issue?
What about muscle biopsies, have they ever been used to diagnose diseases associated with muscle twitching?
I do not want to go overboard with testing but at the same time don't want to miss anything serious which might be treatable.

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 4 minutes later

I agree with the first one.

Biopsy is not required here. It has no significant role in the diagnosis of muscle twitching.

The tests are better done and reported by a qualified neurologist.