Numbness in arm after fall. Do I have nerve damage or will it heal with time?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I fell in the shower 3 days ago and hit my back/shoulder/arm. My right arm has been numb since the accident. Do I possibly have nerve damage and should I see a doctor, or will it heal with time? I don't have any swelling or pain except in a few tender areas. Thanks!
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
It seems that you have suffered a blunt injury to the nerve which is responsible for the symptoms.
Such minor nerve injury usually heals on its own without any treatment in a week or two. In case the area of numbness is increasing, then you need to consult a neurologist for systemic steroids and methylcobalamin supplements for an early recovery.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.