Ask a Dentist   »  

Numbness and tingling sensation in gums. Not cured by deep scale cleaning. Cause and cure?

I've been having numbness & tingaling of the bottom front gum and teeth. My dentist recommended XXXXXXX scale cleaning and lazer. I had the procedure done and I'm still having the same numbness & tingaling. What is causing this and what can mbe done to stop it?
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
It would be interesting the circumstances under which you started having these conditions and for how long you have been experiencing these symptoms. Trauma, removal of some teeth and poor tooth hygiene could be some common causes. Teeth are having a very XXXXXXX nerve supply, and the least trauma or exposure leads to the excessive sensation of normal stimuli.
This is the reason why your doctor prescribed the above treatment, to diminish the hypersensitivity of the tooth nerves. The expected effect is not usually immediate. It might take up to two to three for the expected effect to be felt. It's too early to be discouraged or think that the treatment is not effective.
In case of failure, you should consult your physician again for other options. What was prescribed is the standard and ideal practice for your situation.
Hope this helps and wishing you a fast recovery,
Best regards and will be honored answering further questions or making suggestions if need be,
Luchuo, MD.