Numbness and pain in hand. Worried for carpal tunnel syndrome

Nov 2013

My right hand is going to sleep very often and is very painful. The most painful period is at night. it goes to sleep at different times during the day. It causes me to drop things. It appears to affect my middle finger aloong with each finger on each side. I walk with a cane in that hand. my wrist hurts at times also. other than carpal tunnel what could cause this?
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 29 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

As you suspected, carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is the most likely diagnosis in this case. In CTS, there is compression of the median nerve (which supplies sensation to all the fingers of hand except little finger) gets compressed in a small tunnel at the level of wrist. This results in pain and numbness in those fingers, which are typically worse at night. CTS is more common in people with RA. The use of cane could be contributory.

Regarding any other possibility, the only other cause could be impingement of the nerve at the neck region. The nerve travels from there to the hand. However, the chances are less, as you do not have pain in the neck or arm.

The diagnosis can be confirmed by a EMG).

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist