Numbness and hypersensitivity on the neck and arm. Is this fibromyalgia?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
About 6 wks ago started having small numb area on left side of neck at base of skull. Numbness area expanded a little. Then about 2 - 4 days ago, the skin above this area got REALLY sensitive to touch - like the area around a large scab when you scrape your knee as a kid. The numbness has gone away but the sensitivity is still there along with MUCH discomfort along the back of the shoulder (left side only) and down the left arm. This area actually feels a tad warmer than the right side. I see a chiro every 2 wks for my fibromyalgia. This is NOT a FM thing as I realized this morning. Can you help?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Hypersensitivity on the side of neck with pain near shoulder and in the arm is suggestive of a nerve compression due to degenerative changes in the cervical spine.
Exact diagnosis can be made after investigations like X-ray and MRI.
Most of the times the symptoms subside on using a cervical collar and taking methylcobalamin supplements.
You may get the initial physical examination, relevant tests and treatment done under care of 'Orthopaedician'.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.