Numbness after having alcohol. Does it indicate any abnormality?

After drinking alcohol on Saturday night I felt fine on Sunday just a little tired. I was active all day Sunday and then about 6 pm that night I experience an odd feeling in my body. My limbs feel a bit numb. It makes it harder to do fiddly tasks like writing, I feel groggy and numb in my head, fingertips, and different points in my body. It is a really hard feeling to describe, a numb feeling, it feels like I m not really there or out of touch with my body. This has happened to me before in the past. It usually starts when am eating something, it is hard to feel the food. Or when I drink from a bottle it is hard to feel the bottle with my lips. It feels weird. 3 days later and I still feel this way. This has happened to me before, when I drink heavily, but not all the time.
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Drinking alcohol might be the cause of numbness...

Detailed Answer:

Feeling numbed is a sign of nerve damages and it is related to many factors; in your case, alcohol is triggering the numbness feeling.

Please bare in mind that when nerves are damaged, it is difficult to reverse that damage or "heal" that damaged nerve depending on the stage of damage. That's why it is taking so long for the numbness to be reversed.

Therefore, it is wise to stop drinking alcohol.

I would also suggest to measure your blood glucose levels (fasting, oral glucose tolerance test, HbA1C) as diabetes is often associated with numbness.

In addition, check your blood pressure, do an ECG and cardiac echo to exclude heart problems.

If everything is ok, then, you can talk to your physician to do an Ct-scan of head to exclude stroke or other types of paralysis.

Meanwhile, apart stop drinking alcohol, I'd suggest to eat healthy, avoid processed foods, drink plenty of water to detox and take multivitamin B complex to support nerve function.

Hope it answered to your inquiry! If you have any other concern, feel free to write back to me.