Numb, tingling feet, become red and warm after standing for some time, sensitive to hot or cold water, swollen toe.

Hi! I am a 33 year old female in good health (did blood work and a physical last month and everything was normal - also had an MRI of the head last year, which also showed no neurological issues). I have been experiencing what I can only explain as circulation problems in my feet. It's been going on for years, but it seems to be getting worse. My feet sometimes feel numb and tingly. They also tend to get very red and warm when I stand for short periods of time. It's as if all the blood in pooling in my feet. They also seem extremely sensitive to hot or cold water. Recently, I have developed a swollen 3rd toe on each foot. I've tried exercising to increase blood circulation and I occasionally wear tights specifically used for circulation. I've been completely flat footed all my life (my father is the same), but I'm not sure that has anything to do with it. My doctor seems to think it's no big deal, but I am concerned. I'm having these problems at 33, my fear is that it will get worse with age. What could this be related to?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 5 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Looking at your symptoms, certain tests like ultrasound to ascertain the local vascular supply of your leg seems necessary, especially in the light of the swelling. I would think more of a venous reason than an arterial at this situation of not examining you first.

Poor venous drainage can be a cause of local redness and oedema in predisposed people. Nothing serious but, a detailed review would help if you are really stressed about it and experiencing symptoms.

Yes, neglect can lead to situations like varicosity etc.

Increased sensitivity would most likely be due to sluggish circulation in the area and would go down eventually, as the circulation improves.

Try discussing with your doctor/surgeon in detail. I am sure it will be looked into.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.