Numb patch on the lips. Not responding to neosporin and steroid creams

Dermatologist
Question
I am a 42 year old female, and I have a dry numb patch on the right side of my upper lip that has been there for six weeks. I saw my family doctor, and he said it did not look cancerous and that he didn't believe it to be fungal or viral. He gave me a steroid cream to put right on the edge of my lip, but that doesn't seem to be working because the dryness and numbness are further down on the lip as well. I have never had a cold sore before, and this is not raised or painful, it is just bothersome and has me worried. The skin will eventually peel off, but then it dries up again. I also tried neosporin, and that didn't work either although I only tried it for a few days. I've tried several lip balms, and none of them are resolving the problem either.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 9 hours later
Hi!,

Thank you for posting the query.

It is important to understand here is that the patch is only dry or is it numb too. Also, if it is numb then are you able to feel the pin prick (pain sensation) over the area or not. Can you feel the sensation of warm or cold over the patch?

These tests need to be done by an experienced dermatologist at his clinic. We need to rule out Hansens disease here. Your dermatologist would test these and if needed can ask for a skin biopsy as well. Pain sensation, cold and hot sensations are diminished in Hansens disease. Any nerve thickening should also be looked for.

If your dermatologist rules out Hansens, then you should consult a neurologist, he can help you better to look for any nerve involvement.

Kindly discontinue topical steroid as this is not going to help you.

Hope I've answered your query.

Should you have additional concern regarding the same, I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.