Numb feet after sitting for some time.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 76 years old and still active.
However, if I have been sitting down for a while,
I find my feet are numb when I stand up, and the feeling only returns to my feet some minutes later.
Please explain what the problem might be.
Thank you . XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Feeling numbness in the feet only on sitting is possibly due to the nerve compression at the spinal level which becomes more compressed on sitting. It can happen due to age related spondylottic changes in the spine.
Getting an MRI of spine will help in pin pointing the diagnosis.
You can get methylcobalamin supplements and Vitamin B complex supplements prescribed from your orthopedician after physical examination for relief.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.