Nuclear stress report states inferior wall ischemia, evidence of GI uptake. Meaning?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Can you tell me what the following means on my nuclear stress test report> "Inferior Wall Ischemia was not present; however, there was evidence of GI uptake artifact decreasing the accuracy of the test when compared to the previous test." "All sets of images were normal."
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 9 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I would like to know a little more about why the test was done. It looks like a follow-up scan to me. It suggests that the decreased blood supply to lower part of the heart which was less previously has improved now. The follow up scan has less sensitivity due to some technical reasons. you can get back to me with your previous reports if you need further information.

Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Nuclear stress report states inferior wall ischemia, evidence of GI uptake. Meaning? 8 hours later
The test was done as a follow up to a procedure I had in XXXXXXX The XXXXXXX test showed an abnormality and I was then given a heart XXXXXXX and discovered that I some blockage in an inferior artery. A stent was put in at that time. Can you explain to me what a GI uptake artifact is and what would cause it?

Thanks you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 6 hours later
Hi again XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

When you undergo nuclear test an isotope is injected into your blood. Which is taken up by heart and seen under imaging. However apart from the heart there are other parts where there are similar muscles or tissue the isotope is taken. When we say GI uptake it means your intestines which are in the abdomen have taken up the isotope and these organs and liver being just beneath diaphragm make it difficult to say whether the shadow on the image is due to heart or intestines. That is why the name artifacts.

But since your test was normal, you need not worry about this.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please accept the answer if you do not have any more queries.