Noticing small boils on shaft of penis. Have itchy feeling. Can I apply Neosporin on the affected area?

hello Doctor,

from past few days, I'm noticing small boils on the shaft of my penis. they don't hurt but are itchy sometimes. can I apply either Neosporin or Miconazole on the affected area?
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do not use Neosporin or miconazole

Detailed Answer:
From the description provided, it seems you could be having nodular scabies, boils , lichen nitidus or eczema.
Nodular scabies presents as itchy elevated lesions over genitalia and itching is mainly in night.
Eczema presents with itchy red scaly lesions
Lichen nitidus present as very small skin colored itchy elevated lesions
Boils are red lesions usually tender but may itch at times.

Scabies would require permethrin and steroid application
Eczema and lichen nitidus requires steroids
Boils would require antibiotics like mupirocin or fusidic acid. Neosporin may be used but it has a skin irritating potential and with better antibiotics available is not much preferred these days.

I would advise that you XXXXXXX a dermatologist nearby as the diagnosis can only be ascertained after seeing the lesions.
You may also upload an image of the concerned lesions, this would help me in thinking a probable diagnosis.
Hope this helped.