Noticed yellowish and thick liquid oozing from nipples. Stopped feeding. What could this be?

I am having liquid coming out of right nipples occasionally in the past few days. I have a 8 month old son and stopped breast feeding after 3 months. There is also a sharp pain in the right breast Bone and its increasing suddenly. The liquid is yellowish and thick.
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later
A yellowish thick discharge from the breast is common due to mild hormonal changes in the body upto two years after the child birth.
Chronic breast stimulation, such as from frequent breast self-exams or sexual activity also is one of the common causes of galactorrhoea. If you are having normal regular periods then having a pregnancy is a remote possibility.
The other possible causes are mammary duct ectasia, an underactive thyroid gland, tumor (prolactinoma) or other disorder of the pituitary gland, etc.
All these causes can be ruled out after some simple blood tests and a detailed examination from your gynecologist.
You can wait and watch for 7-10 days for it to subside spontaneously and if it persists then the cause needs to be investigated.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Noticed yellowish and thick liquid oozing from nipples. Stopped feeding. What could this be? 3 hours later
Thanks for answering my question. I am not having regular cycles, but having regular periods, I mean the cycle varies between 30 days to 50 days. I am more concerned as a cousin of mine is diagnosed with breast cancer from my mother's side and I had fibroids earlier. Would you suggest getting a mammogram ? Last I had is in 2009. I am taking an appointment with my obgyn on Monday.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Since your cousin has been diagnosed with breast cancer, you can get a mammogram done and check the serum prolactin levels after consulting your gynecologist. This will help in detecting the exact cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.