Noticed yellow stools. What could be the cause?

General Surgeon
Yesterday I noticed that my stool had turned somewhat yellow. Now it has become more pale. I have been told as a teenager that I had IBS. I do stool 5 or so times a day. Currently not diarrhea. 10 days ago I had a day or two of nausea and abdominal cramping. Otherwise I have no other symptoms. I do tend to have some fecal urgency.
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms can be caused by bile ducts obstruction due to gallstones which has migrated into the bile duct. That is why your stool has became pale. If you also have dark urine and/or skin rash, this is very probable. Severe pancreas inflammation can also cause such symptoms.
This diseases should be ruled out at first. You should have abdominal ultrasound, full blood work. liver enzymes (AST,ALT,GGTP), pancreas enzymes (amylase), bilirubine level performed as well as urine analysis and amylase in urine level.
If no findings in this tests, stool test should be performed and colonoscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.