Noticed yellow stool after stomach virus. How long will this be? Recovery?

General Surgeon
Yellow stool after sTomach virus in toddler how long is it normal Has it since Monday email YYYY@YYYY has had previous stomach virus about a year ago was 14 days long. what can I do to help him recover better quicker? I would like to see the stool a normal color soon. I have stopped diary products.
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Stool has its color due to some factors. First most important is bile secretion to the stool. The bile has yellow color. Second are intestinal bacteria. This bacteria make yellow bile into brown pigment (called stercobillinogen). If the stool is yellow, it means that the bile secretion is fine, however either there is no intestinal bacteria or the stool presence in the intestines is too short (diarrhea).

If your son has no diarrhea or loose stool, that the most probable reason of yellow stool is lack of intestinal bacteria. It is very common after intestinal infection. Every infection in the intestines destroys our natural bacteria. This bacteria protects us from infection, produce some vitamins and make stool brown.

So if your son has no other symptoms than yellow stool, you should give him his regular diet. Probiotic (which contains intestinal bacteria) should be given 3 times a day. You can also give him some yogurt (which also contains natural bacteria). It should take few days (about 3 days) for the stool to normalize. Otherwise, your son should have stool analysis to rule out chronic infection.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.