Noticed yellow mucus while passing bowel movement. What is going on?

when i go toilet and i have wiped my bum there is yellow mucos on the tissue
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi,thanks for using healthcare magic

Mucus can be white ,yellow or clear and it is produced by the large intestine.Normally it protects the lining of the intestine and helps to ease the passage of stool.
There is normally a small amount of mucus in the stool which is not visible in most cases. If you notice increased amounts then you may want to consider visiting your doctor if it continues or is associated with pain, change in bowel habits,blood.
Excess mucus in the stool can be as a result of (1) inflammatory bowel disease such as Crohns disease and ulcerative colitis (3) bacterial infection with some bacteria

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions