Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed yellow color discharge with burning sensation after urologic procedure. Test result showed positive for klebsiella pneumoniae. Help?

I had a urologic procedure fone a few Months back, cystoscopy to be exact. Not right away but over a 2 month period, I noticed a yellow color discharge that would burn the flesh of the head of the penis, to the point of bleeding. I was tested for all the std's that are consistant with penile discharge and was cleared negative on the std panel. The discharge itself was cultured and came back posative for klebsiella pneumoniae. My question is could that condition cause such a discharge given thats the area the doctor was working on., I was not given meds upon my release either. Any thoughts if the dicharge was caused by klebsiella pneumoniae ?
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 3 hours later
Hi dear

It is clear that you have this Klebsiella pneumoniae infection. Culture of the discharge is a gold standard test to diagnose the type of infection. Further possibility of acquiring the urinary tract infection is very common after any invasive procedure.

Therefore you should be treated as a case of UTI. Specific antibiotic can be started according to culture and sensitivity report. Alkaliser solution can relieve the burning sensations. Drink plenty of fluids. Urine Culture should be repeated after about two weeks of completing the course of antibiotic to now the relapse.

Hope your query is answered with your satisfaction and useful to you. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Noticed yellow color discharge with burning sensation after urologic procedure. Test result showed positive for klebsiella pneumoniae. Help? 1 hour later
What is the oral drug of choice that can be used to treat This, I have read that its very resistant to oral meds, I am on cipro now, However its not working on this infection
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 2 hours later
Hi dear

You should take only that antibiotic which is most sensitive for the bug according to the culture and sensitivity report.That will be the drug of choice.

Empirically advised medicines may not be sensitive against the said bacteria.

So the culture and sensitivity test is a must in such cases.

Please feel free for more clarification.