Noticed whitish patch over upper lip. What could it be?

Dermatologist
Question
my upper lip has a small patch that is whiter than the rest of my lip color, what is this? just noticed this 2/3 days a go. I also have a picture if you need it
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
From the image uploaded, it looks like the whitish patch over your upper lip are fordyce spots or ectopic sebaceous glands. These are basically whitish or pale yellowish pin point papules( elevated skin lesion) over upper lip border.

To treat the same
Application of tretinoin cream in night over the affected area helps
Even use of oral isotretinoin is said to be of benefit
If there is any irritation in the lesion, topical steroid application is required( kenacort oral paste)
Co2 lasers also give good results in treating the lesion.

I would advise you to consult a dermatologist nearby as these are prescription drugs and laser can only be offered by a dermatologist.

Hope that answers your query.

Follow-up: Noticed whitish patch over upper lip. What could it be? 15 minutes later
Thank you, I only notice these for a the past few days. Could these result due to stress, since I've had a bit of it in the last few months?

Also, would this go away without any treatment? if so how long?

Thank You again Doctor

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 10 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Stress is not associated with fordyce spots. Fordyce spots are just normal oil glands that have become prominent. These are not harmful and are just a cosmetic concern.

At times these resolve spontaneously but no particular time frame can be specified for resolution.

Usually we reassure the patient and do not advise treatment however if a patient finds it cosmetically displeasing, then the treatment suggested in my previous post is advised.

Hope that helps. Take care.